Christmas time is chocolate time – but the treats can quickly become dangerous for dogs

Christmas time is chocolate time – but the treats can quickly become dangerous for dogs

What exactly is harmful about chocolate and when does it become dangerous for the dog?

The theobromine contained in chocolate cannot be broken down by the dog’s body and, in the worst case, can quickly lead to poisoning.

The following applies: the darker the chocolate and the smaller the dog, the more dangerous it is. Even half a tablet can be deadly for the dog. For example also for Lissy. With the following formula you can calculate relatively quickly how much theobromine your darling has consumed.

Amount of chocolate in gx theobromine content of chocolate : dog’s body weight

Lissy is a 5kg Yorkshire Terrier and has eaten just over half a bar of dark chocolate. We calculate 50g for half a bar with a theobromine content of approx. 6 mg/g. Half a bar contains about 300 g of theobromine. This 300 g is now divided by the dog’s body weight. With Lissy, we arrive at a total of 60 mg of theobromine in her body. In this case, there is no way around the vet, because Lissy has to get rid of the chocolate as soon as possible. The packaging material can also lead to blockages or other undesirable reactions. Therefore, you are always on the safe side if you have everything examined by a veterinarian. You can find more information about this in the guide vet felmo.

Everything done right! – Lissy and owner got away with the shock again and can now enjoy Christmas to the fullest. The vet gave her an emetic and recommended a bland diet for the time being. Of course, the chocolate Santa Clauses were put away and are only eaten by the dog parents.

Christmas time is chocolate time - but the treats can quickly become dangerous for dogs

How do I recognize chocolate poisoning in dogs?

If you’re not sure how much chocolate your dog ate or can’t find information on the packaging about theobromine content, look out for signs of poisoning. In most cases these are:

  • Diarrhea
  • Vomit
  • panting
  • Increased thirst
  • convulsions and disturbances of consciousness

As with almost everything, when it comes to dogs and chocolate, different dogs can have very different reactions. That depends, for example, on the breed of dog and the variety of the chocolate away. However, being aware of the dangers of chocolate goes a long way in the event of an emergency.

Recommendation from the vet felmo

As a dog owner, you can easily prevent an incident like the one with Lissy by finding out which foods can be poisonous or dangerous for dogs. These should be kept in places inaccessible to the dog. Don’t take any risks and simply decorate your apartment or house with things that pose no danger to your darling.

Photo credit: Sonja / stock.adobe.com

PS: Quality management is important to us!

Please let us know how you like our post. To do this, click on the asterisks shown below (5 asterisks = very good):

PPS: Did you particularly like the post?

Support our advice portal: