As part of our marketing outsourcing interventions, we are required to take on a wide variety of missions, one of them being the writing and publication of marketing content on the web. We therefore develop content that best respects the basic rules of SEO and then put them online, very often on WordPress.
Very recently, we were commissioned by one of our clients who had recently redesigned his site which needed to be optimized. Because there is a step too often forgotten but mandatory: go back to all the pages to check that the transfer of content from the old site to the new one went well. We used My Ranking Metrics to analyze the site and review content logically. SEO. Thanks to this tool, we were able to upgrade ourselves on all the cogs and techniques of SEO web and explain to our client the changes made.
SEO does not only start when you are about to post the article on a website (technical part), but as soon as it is written, this is the strategic part.
So to help you, here is a practical sheet developed from our experience, not designed for experts, but for those who wish to publish high-performance articles in terms of SEO!
THE STRATEGIC PART: THE WRITING OF THE SEO ARTICLE
1. Identify the right keywords
the referencing an article passes above all by the coherence of the words which it contains. Nowadays, the way Internet users do their research has changed a lot. They are no longer looking for single words but for combinations of words that allow search engines to refine the results. This is exactly how an editor should think and act when writing a article. Indeed, the association of 3 or 4 words ensures a better position in the SEO : it is the “principle of the long tail” (ex: content marketing strategy agency Lyon > marketing agency). There are different ways to find and associate them. Once these have been identified, it is advisable to use them, as well as their declensions (eg the declensions of the word cuisine are to cook, cook, culinary, etc.), in meta-titles, sub-titles, paragraphs, meta -descriptions, image ALT tags… Ideally, these words and their variations should represent approximately between 2 and 6% of the text contained on the page.
2. Check content length
The density of a text is very important for its SEO. Below 300 words, search engines do not consider the page as “important” or even “interesting” as it contains little content. For a article, the ideal size is considered to be between 800 and 1500 words (beyond that, the reading time becomes too long). The exercise is therefore tactical…
3. Check content readability
For good referencing, search engines and their robots analyze whether your text is not too difficult for Internet users to read. Our advice for a well-readable text:
- Write in the active voice rather than the passive voice (no more than 10% passive text)
- Avoid sentences that contain more than 20 words (no more than 25% of sentences longer than 20 words)
- Use transition words (ex: first, nevertheless, more…)
- Favor relatively short paragraphs and prioritize them by titles and subtitles
- Do not hesitate to use bulleted or numbered lists
4. Check content quality
Search engine crawlers not only look at quantity, they are also adamant about the quality of the item. As attached marketers to the bottom, angles and added value of the articles, it is not to displease us… It is therefore imperative to write effective and attractive content in terms of marketing and interest for your target while integrating the various constraints mentioned above. You will understand, write an SEO-friendly article is a real challenge!
THE TECHNICAL PART: SEO ATTRIBUTES
When the text of thearticle is written with thought SEO, all that remains is to put it online. Finally, way of speaking because there comes into play the technical part of his SEO…
Categories not to be overlooked
- Title Tag (Meta-Title) : this is the title your article in searches. It should inform the reader about the subject of the article and contain the target queries.
- H1 tag : the title of your article on your page (it can be the same as the meta title).
- Hn tags (H2-H6) : they are used as subtitles (be careful not to go too far in the subparts!)
- Target queries : it is generally the association of keywords that you want to highlight in order to obtain more visibility in the search results.
- Meta description : this is a short text that the Internet user will see directly associated with your meta-title, it must also contain the target query and inform the reader about the content of the article. It must be attractive because it is what will encourage the Internet user to click… or not!
- ALT tags : this is the alt text linked to the images in thearticle. They must also contain the target query and be related to the paragraph/article in which the image is inserted.
- The slug : this is the URL that appears in the search bar of thearticle (ex. It is often generated automatically from the content of the Title tag. In order for it to be relevant, it is advisable that it also contains the target query, but no determiners, pronouns, etc. So you have to think about “clean” it of these little parasitic words before publication.
- Internal linking : it is a question of inserting links of the pages of your Web site in thearticle that you wrote. This allows you to perfect your SEO but also to encourage the user to stay on your site by clicking from one page to another.
Respect the character limits in each category
- Title tag / H1 : minimum 45 characters, maximum 70
- Hn Tags : max 80 characters
- Target queries : maximum 60 characters and 5 words
- Tag-Meta description : minimum 120, maximum 156 characters
- Alt tag : between 5 and 6 keywords describing the image and thearticle
- Slug : the shorter, the better… maximum 60 characters
- Internal link : there is no minimum or maximum but pay attention to the relevance…
To go further and fully master the rules, pitfalls and good practices on SEO, Jappuru recommends that you consult ” Google SEO How to by Olivier Andrieu published by Eyrolles. So, ready to reference?
This article was last updated on March 17, 2022